Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Updates for the University System of Georgia
Last Updated: Thursday, March 12, 五福彩票app官网 - 5:08pm EDT
Georgia Governor Brian Kemp today announced state agencies, school systems and local communities have been given the flexibility to implement closures.
Effective Monday, March 16, 五福彩票app官网, all University System of Georgia institutions will temporarily suspend instruction for two weeks to allow time for USG institutions to test their business continuity plans and online instruction modules and for state officials to continue to assess the current situation regarding coronavirus (COVID-19) in Georgia.
Students who are currently on spring break are strongly encouraged not to return to campus. Students on campus are asked to depart campus by close of business Friday, March 13, 五福彩票app官网, and to remain away from campus until March 29, 五福彩票app官网. At this time, students are not being asked to move out of their dorms for the remainder of the semester. For students who are unable to leave campus, institutions have been asked to develop plans to safely accommodate those students on campus.
As circumstances change, the USG is providing regular updates to its institutions and the public on this site.
We take very seriously the responsibility to make prudent choices for the well-being of our USG community. We have been actively monitoring the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) situation in conjunction with the governor’s office, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH).
While we understand the concerns around COVID-19, it is extremely important our campus communities stay calm and not panic. Public health officials, including those from DPH and CDC, continue to stress the overall risk level in Georgia associated with COVID-19 is low.
You can look for updates from the USG on this site, , and from the
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued an update on people at risk for serious illness from COVID-19. The updated guidance is as follows:
Warning - Level 3, Avoid Nonessential Travel—Widespread Sustained Transmission Key Points
• On March 11, President Donald Trump announced a ban on most travel from Europe, excluding the United Kingdom. The exceptions are outlined in the . • Europe is experiencing widespread sustained transmission of • CDC recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to the specified countries in Europe. See: • CDC also continues to advise against travel to previously designated Warning Level 3 or higher countries: China五福彩票app官网, South Korea, Italy and Iran. • Older adults and people of any age with serious chronic medical conditions are at increased risk for severe disease. • Travelers should avoid contact with sick people and wash their hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. • Travelers returning from the specified countries in Europe must stay 五福彩票app官网 for 14 days after returning from travel, monitor their health, and practice social distancing. • Travelers who are sick with fever, cough, or have trouble breathing should call ahead before seeking medical care.
Travel notices are updated at this
If you are at of getting very sick from COVID-19, the CDC recommends: • • Take to keep space between yourself and others. • When you go out in public, keep away from others who are sick, limit close contact and wash your hands often. • as much as possible. • Avoid and non-essential air travel. • During a COVID-19 outbreak in your community, as much as possible to further reduce your risk of being exposed.
Early information out of China五福彩票app官网, where COVID-19 first started, shows that some people are at higher risk of getting very sick from this illness. This includes: • Older adults • People who have serious chronic medical conditions like: o Heart disease o Diabetes o Lung disease
For the latest updates from the CDC, visit the
The Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) continues to advise that there is a low risk of COVID-19 transmission in Georgia.
(earlier update from March 5, 五福彩票app官网)
The University System of Georgia has been closely monitoring the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak and has offered direction to our institutions in line with Centers for Disease Control (CDC), State Department, and Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) guidance.
The CDC has provided the following new guidance on all student foreign travel for institutions of higher education:
Consider postponing or canceling student foreign exchange programs
Given the global outbreak of novel coronavirus (COVID-19) institutes of higher education (IHE) should consider postponing or canceling upcoming student foreign exchange programs. IHE should consider asking current program participants to return to their 五福彩票app官网 country五福彩票app官网. Those overseeing student foreign exchange programs should be aware that students may face unpredictable circumstances, travel restrictions, challenges in returning 五福彩票app官网 or accessing health care while abroad.
IHEs should consider asking students participating in study abroad programs to return to the United States. IHEs should work with state and local public health officials to determine the best approach for when and how (e.g., chartered transportation for countries or areas assessed as high-risk for exposure) their study abroad students might return. All plans for returning study abroad students should be designed to protect participants from stigma and discrimination.
The COVID-19 situation is dynamic. Given the speed of spread and the number of countries experiencing human-to-human transmission, IHEs should evaluate the risks associated with choosing to maintain programs abroad and take the appropriate proactive measures. IHEs that continue to maintain programs abroad should monitor for additional information.
Additionally, in consultation with the Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH), students returning from countries at a Level 3 or higher designation should self-monitor for 14 days prior to returning to campus. If a student presents with any symptoms during the self-monitoring period, the student needs to contact DPH immediately at 1-866-PUB-HLTH and seek medical assistance.
Currently, China五福彩票app官网, South Korea, Italy and Iran are under a level 3 warning from the CDC which means:
- There is a widespread, ongoing outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel (new) coronavirus that can be spread from person to person.
- Older adults and people with chronic medical conditions may be at increased risk for severe disease.
Here are links to up-to-date country五福彩票app官网-specific coronavirus-related information from the CDC:
Since CDC can raise or lower warning levels at any time, the system office will continue to monitor the situation closely.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact your local public health district or call 1-866-PUB-HLTH (782-4584) or 404-657-2588.
As this is an evolving situation, the most up-to-date information from the CDC can be found at and from DPH at .
What is the difference between seasonal flu and COVID-19?
Coronaviruses are a family of viruses and there are different types of coronaviruses within that family, much like there are different types of influenza viruses. In the United States, there are common coronaviruses that circulate every year, which usually cause upper respiratory tract illnesses much like the common cold. Coronaviruses tend to circulate in the fall and winter months, like influenza. Most people get infected with these viruses at some point in their lives. The coronavirus that has emerged in Wuhan, China五福彩票app官网, is a new type of coronavirus and is infecting people for the first time, which means that people do not have immunity to it.
What are common symptoms of COVID-2019?
Symptoms of COVID-19 infection include fever, cough, and shortness of breath. Some infected individuals go on to develop pneumonia requiring hospitalization. Severity of symptoms can span from asymptomatic or mild illness to severe or fatal illness.
How is COVID-19 spread?
COVID-19 is spread like other respiratory illnesses, such as the flu and the common cold, through coughing or sneezing by those who already have symptoms. There have also been reports of rare spread from an infected patient with no symptoms to a close contact.
What should students or faculty who have recently traveled to China五福彩票app官网 do?
Because of the ever-expanding global outbreak, the federal government recently announced that all individuals (which may include students, faculty, or staff) who have traveled to China五福彩票app官网 in the past 14 days and returned on or after February 3, 五福彩票app官网, will be requested to remain at 五福彩票app官网 and be monitored for 2019-nCoV symptoms by the Georgia Department of Public Health. School and university students, faculty or staff whose family members have traveled from China五福彩票app官网 in the last 14 days (and are being monitored for symptoms) do not need to be excluded from school.
How is COVID-19 treated?
Currently, there is no specific antiviral treatment recommended for COVID-19. There is no vaccine to prevent this virus, and the CDC advises that the best way to prevent infection is to avoid being exposed to it.
What preventive measures should schools and universities take to help reduce the spread of respiratory illness?
The Georgia Department of Public Health recommends that schools and universities increase education about respiratory hygiene. Students, faculty, and staff should follow these steps that prevent the transmission of respiratory infections:
- Cough or sneeze into your elbow or cover your coughs and sneezes with a tissue, not your hands.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth.
- Wash hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds, especially after coughing or sneezing. Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Stay 五福彩票app官网 if you’re sick, especially with a fever.
- Avoid people who are sick.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces and objects.
For university students who present to Health 五福彩票app官网:
- Students who visit health services should be instructed to wear a mask when they present with respiratory symptoms.
- Health personnel should inquire about travel history.
- Clinicians should wear person protective equipment to guard against potential exposure.
- Continue to monitor up-to-date information from health officials.
- Always promote daily practice of everyday preventive actions.
- Have supplies on hand for staff and students (masks, soap, tissues, hand sanitizers, trash baskets).
- If you identify a patient suspected of having COVID-19 infection, immediately isolate them.
Outbreaks involving novel coronaviruses evolve quickly and recommendations from public health officials may change frequently as new information becomes available. Please check the following websites often for updated information.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website:
- Georgia Department of Public Health website: